Tuesday 7 January 2014

Lauras that Linner

This weekend just gone, one of my best friends, Laura, came to visit. Laura and I met and lived together at university. Over the years, we've discovered that... we pretty much have nothing in common! Well, not nothing in common, just different preferences in most things :o) Which is odd, considering how well we get on, and how much we find to do! One thing that we definitely have a shared passion for though, is food. (I know, I've hidden well so far that I enjoy my grub...) Food, family, and lie-ins at the weekend are all firmly on the list. And through the combination of the love of lie-ins and food... Linner was born!

Slept through breakfast? Missed brunch? Even too late for lunch?! GO FOR LINNER! 

So on Saturday, Laura and I headed to The Coal Shed, on Boyce's Street, Brighton, for a hearty ol' Linner, and a long overdue catch up.


 Meals start with complimentary fresh bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar at The Coal Shed. I love this classic combination! So simple, but always pleasing.

For mains Laura and I went for the exact same thing: steak burgers served with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, and homemade relish. They were topped with Monterey Jack cheese and bacon, and served with dripping chips, and a side of onion rings. We weren't very hungry, you see...





































I love The Coal Shed, I really do. The service is always lovely, and the food, most of the time, is incredible. Usually when I eat this burger, I take the first bite, and kind of melt a little bit inside. It is my Number One. My favourite. True love? 
It's so deliciously well seasoned and put together, everything just works, and you savour each and every bite. The same goes for the dripping chips. On this occasion though, sadly, my burger was not The One. Don't get me wrong, it was still really good. But my burger standards have rocketed since moving back to Brighton, and there was just something missing! I couldn't even put my finger on what. The usual depth of flavour just wasn't there.

Can you tell I was disappointed?

Dessert perked me up a little, though. I've discovered a new love of sorbet thanks to The Coal Shed. Home-made, and ever changing flavours, some of my favourites so far have been strawberry, Pimms, and cherry.


























Despite our little burger hiccup, things are still good with me and The Coal Shed. It's a firm favourite, and one little fall out isn't going to change that. Laura loved it too. She thought her burger was perfect! Maybe I was being too fussy. This little place is definitely worth a visit, anyhow, if you can get there. It's small, dimly lit, with an open fireplace, and a great menu. The cow possibly feels differently...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...